EuropeItalyRome

Exciting Rome

Rome Travel Blog

forum

Ah...Rome is another story altogether.

Like in Paris, there is something extremely special about it that I doubt I could describe. And again, like in Paris, Rome is a place you would want to visit again (and again...)

But let me start by me trying to ask an Italian shopowner to sell me 2 tickets of 3-day integrated tourist passes for train & bus - - - in Italian! Si! Parlo Italiano (as if!)! You should have seen the look on my partner's face, like he was staring at me for the first time (thinking probably: do i know you?). He was not expecting me to break my very limited Italian languange in such an early time. Afterall, we just arrived at Roma Termini. Reading the TOP10 Rome was a good start. I read that Italians will pay you more attention and give you an even better service if you try and speak their language (even for just a tiny bit).

spanish steps
And so my 'buongiorno' 'buena sera', grazie' and perfetto to them runneth over.

There was even a time I was asking a shopowner to tell me where I could take a bus to get to another place.  Of course it was in English.  But then he just told me: non parlo inglese.  Then I asked him in my crooked mixture of Italian and Spanish --- and right before my eyes I saw his face lighted up as he tried to explain to me where to take the bus.    I tell you, my "grazie's" were said a hundred times over.

It was then that I had a strong feeling I could actually survive to live in such a historical and vibrant city. Italians are very welcoming and friendly.

In Piazza Navona, the afternoon air was fascinating.  The outdoor was filled with art paintings, drawings, caricatures, mimes and buskers --- all together in one square.  When dusk sets in, we sampled this inviting dinner at one restaurant. (Funny, the one thing you won't fail to notice here was that these waiters from different restaurants almost invisibly push each other in the face, just to get the customers.)  But in the end, I would say I never regret the choice we made.

Oh and the service?         Molto bene

colosseo