Summer in Cebu

Cebu Travel Blog

Not wanting to be a tourist in my own country, I made a vow to see other places in the Philippines too, as much as I would like to see other places in the world.

It takes an hour flight from Manila to get to Cebu.  We arrived in Mactan (Cebu) in July 2008.  It was supposed to be a monsoon season but our schedule would not permit changing dates, so on we went. July to August were the raining months in the Philippines so we were not expecting a glorious weather condition (although just 1 sunny day would not be too much to ask for). Nevertheless, I heard no one complained.

So 4 glorious days of sun it was, more sun to burn our already brown skins even more. But that's what summer holidays were all about!

The resort we stayed at was really great (well, it's an expensive resort, so it better be!).  It has complete facilities and superb service of indulgence.  The white sand beach of greenish blue is a marine sanctuary full of colorful fishes waiting to be fed.  (The resort boasts of its eco-tourism policies which is something they really should be proud of.  Snorkellers were reminded not to step on the corals and jetskiers were told to ski outside the boomline so as not to disturb the fishes.  This way, you get to have a great time on the sea but still manage to be eco-friendly and responsible.

Fish-feeding was an amazing experience for kids and adults alike.
It's amazing to see how the fishes scramble in an instant you throw a piece of bread at them.  The kids just love feeding the fishes.  It was an awesome experience for them.

Water sports available include:  jetskiing, scuba diving, snorkelling, bananaboat-riding, among others.  There is even this huge bubble thing where kids get inside and the big bubble floats on the sea (I dont know what that is called exactly).

For a family retreat, I would say we made a right choice to pick this (over Plantation Bay).  The kids loved it and we all had a great stay at this place.  Well, they loved the place so much, they didn't want to leave.  That translates to us missing the sights in Cebu.  We didn't catch a glimpse of Magellan's Cross, the beauty of Butterfly Santuary and many other historical sights.  But at least we passed the Lapu-Lapu Shrine on the way to the resort.  Was a real pity but the kids' enjoyment was on top of the list, so they won.

It's funny how when you get to a place, it always gives you a feeling you will have a chance to come back again.  So there goes my excuse for missing the sights.

Cebu is a such a beautiful place I would definitely recommend to avid travelers.

Cebu