Wandering about Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

I arrived back into Chiang Mai yesterday evening, after a quick rest I walked down to the Night Bazaar to do some browsing. It was more of the typical stuff I've been seeing around Thailand, with really nothing unique standing out. Everything is really overpriced, so you have to bargain hard for everything, which makes the process not so much fun. There are some places to get cheap DVDs though, and the quality seems good. There is a great food venue called the Kalore food center, you just pick up some coupons then redeem them at a variety of food stalls. There are pictures and many dishes are on display, so you know exactly what you are getting, and it's cheap. They also feature traditional Thai dancing with music each night on a stage in the center.

Today I was feeling extremely lazy, so I slept in, then laid out on the roof-top pool for a few hours. After, I headed into the old part of the city (within the moat area) and caught a bus (50 Baht) to the Doi Suthep. On the way I met a nice guy from Argentina who was also traveling alone and we exchanged our travel stories. It was pouring down rain when we arrived, but luckily the rains seem to pass quickly around here, and it did clear out the throngs of tourist. It is a beautiful ornate temple located on the mountain top, with spectacular views of Chiang Mai. The bus dropped us off right at the edge of the Sunday Walking Market, so I spent several hours wandering around there. It was phenomenally better than the Night Bazaar, both the prices and the vibe. It gets absolutely packed around 8 pm, and becomes a sea of people shuffling along. The street eats are not to be missed here, so one should come hungry because there is a plethora of food choices for cheap, cheap, cheap! I have to say, that is one of my favorite things about Thailand; walking along the street and sampling delicious morsels of food from the vendors, and the food is better than any found in the restaurants. I was also able to pick up a beautiful hand painted umbrella, which had been one of my shopping goals, so I feel I now have my requisite fill of souvenirs.

Chiang Mai