AsiaThailandPai

Elephants Rock!

Pai Travel Blog

I love elephants

I arrived in Pai yesterday afternoon, and on arrival immediately wished I had come here sooner, so that I could stay longer. It is the most laid back, picturesque little town! Small shops and restaurants and little boutique guesthouses everywhere. I'm staying at the Baan Pai Village in a beautiful wood and bamboo bungalow set amidst tropical foliage, and water gardens. The best part is it is only costing $16 per night! This is exactly what I imagined when I thought of Thailand. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Thailand to schedule at least a week here. There are plenty of outdoor activities as well. I rented a rickety old bicycle for about $1 to explore the town, it was nearly impossible to steer and I was swerving all over the road. Luckily road traffic is minimal here, with most people walking or using scooters.

Baan Pai village
While riding about I got caught in a brilliant rainstorm and soon discovered that the colorful pants I had bought in Nepal were not colorfast. I must have been a sight: a crazy weaving cyclist in the pouring rain bleeding blue dye everywhere, the result of which I had to go to the spa and have my blue feet scrubbed.

Today I spent the morning on an Elephant safari through the jungle, and then we went swimming with our elephants in the river. They are such majestic and playful creatures. They would splash us with water from their trunks, then when we would climb on their backs they would try to throw us off into the water; it was a real barrel of laughs! But I must say, they are not the most comfortable animals to ride; their backs sway quite a bit when they walk and they have a very bony spine, ouch! They are so large yet so gentle, and each has her own distinct personality. After the bumpy ride it was nice to soak up in the local hot springs. Then after lunch I went bamboo rafting, it was very peaceful and quiet floating lazily down the river, and you could hear the monkeys calling from the surrounding jungle. It was a great finish to a wonderful day!

My bungalow