Day 2 HK

Hong Kong Travel Blog

112 ft Buddha

Had a great day touring the city; I rode the MRT to Lantau, then took the Ngong Ping 360 sky rail to Po Lin to see the giant Buddha and monastery. The sky rail was definitely worth the money. It takes about 25 min. and the views are spectacular! It is like riding in a giant bubble, so the viewing is really 360 degrees, but if you are afraid of heights I would suggest taking the bus :-) Po Lin is a small village set atop the mountain, there is a nice touristy area with gift shops and restaurants designed in traditional Chinese architecture. The main attraction is the giant 112 ft tall bronze Buddha. At the base of the Buddha you can purchase a vegetarian meal ticket for the monastery, and this allows you to visit inside the Buddha. The views are great, but unfortunately there is a lot of haze due to the heat and humidity. The Temple was very beautiful and ornate, with intricate carvings of dragons on the stone pillars.

Symphony of Lights
The vegetarian meal was simple but delicious; mainly steamed vegetables and some spring rolls.

From there it was back to the hotel room for a quick cold shower (the intense humidity requires 2 showers a day) then back out to catch the Star ferry across to Kowloon to view the Symphony of lights, an amazing laser light show involving the skyscraper buildings along the Victoria harbor. Then back to the Sheung Wan MRT station where I had an excellent Vietnamese dinner with bubble tea (if you know me, you know my obsession with this delectable beverage), after which I caught the tram back to the hotel.

I have discovered there is a cheap massage parlor across the street, where I can get a 70min foot massage for around 20 US. I think I will definitely have to hit that tomorrow.

Sky tram