Back in Kathmandu

Kathmandu Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 9 › view all entries

I arrived back into Kathmandu yesterday; I'll have to fill in the details of the trek when I have some time and a faster internet connection. We left Lukla yesterday on the first flight out, and it soon turned into the flight from hell. We had clear skies until we hit the Kathmandu valley and it was covered in fog. As we began our approach, the plane was soon immersed in cloud cover, we continued to go down, but couldn't see a thing, it was really freaky, finally the pilot pulled up, because we were in a total white out, and he couldn't see the ground to land. So we had to detour to Pokora, where we re-fueled and waited for the skies to clear. Finally it was back into the plane, for another try. As we neared Kathmandu again, the pilot had to wait for an opening in the runway, so he circled the airport, but instead of circling high and wide, we were spinning in a tight formation. It was making me so sick, so I started to breath deeply to fight the nausea, but it backfired. Having come from high altitude the deep breathing in thick air caused me to hyperventilate, soon I lost all control of my limbs, and my hands and feet were frozen in sever cramps. It was so scary; I had no idea what was happening to me. As soon as we landed, our guide Kapil was on me, sort of in a panic, trying to get me to move. They carried me off the plane, thinking the fresh air would help, which it didn't. Luckily the guy sitting next to me was a doctor from Germany, he explained that I had hyperventilated causing severe cramps and as a result needed CO2 back in my system to recover. He placed a bag over my mouth and told me to breath normally, my guide was still in a panic, but I soon regained feelings in my hands and feet. I was carted off the runway and waited for the rest of the group to get our things. I was still very dizzy and went straight back to the hotel where I slept for the rest of the day. It took quite sometime for me to recover to 100%. It was all a very strange and scary experience. My companions and I laugh about it now, because I was the only one who didn't get the least bit sick from the high altitude, but of course I had to go out in style at the last minute with low altitude sickness.

Today was spent lounging by the pool and doing some last minute shopping. We have our farewell dinner tonight. I have tomorrow to relax some more, then I fly out on the 4th for Thailand; I am really looking forward to the beach, and doing nothing all day for 4 days!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: sharonburgher