Cathedrals, Coffee and High Mountains

Innsbruck Travel Blog

We spent a day in Innsbruck on our drive to Italy. Even in the summer the weather felt cool, almost like a warm winters day. Innsbruck is surrounded by very high mountains to the north and south. Each mountain is over two thousand meters high. Innsbruck is famous for its winter sports.  I still remember watching a recording of the winter Olympics hosted in Innsbruck (I can not say with certainty which year it was). Peter told me it is not a place for a girl like me because I do not particularly like cold weather, he said even in the summer it can suddenly get cold.

He took me to St. Jame’s catherdral and told me much about the history of the architecht that designed it and how long it took to build. He talked of the war )WWII as if he had fought it as well. Peter is an architect so naturally he tended towards sites with great buildings.  (Refer to my review on Domkirche Cathedral of St. James).

After a visit of the Cathedral, we left and went to have coffee and find accommodation for the night. The coffee shops were a welcome treat: I particularly loved the cheese cakes and the surroundings. Beautiful streets, architecture and the mountains covered in snow.

Innsbruck Sights & Attractions review
18th Century Baroque Cathedral in Innsbruk
It has been long since I was in Austria. I still remember that summer because we visited many religious sites and historical castles in 6 different co… read entire review
photo by: Hummingbird