Well, we thought the weather couldnâ€™t get worse, but it did.We had scheduled a 6 hour trip on ResurrectionBay to Aialik Glacier with a different tour company than yesterdayâ€™s trip giving us another day to see animals.When we checked in, we were told that there was a weather advisory for the Gulf of Alaska for high winds and seas and that the captain may turn around early.The weather which was not good to begin with deteriorated as we headed south.Consequently we never left ResurrectionBay.We did see some different scenery and areas that we bypassed on yesterdayâ€™s trip because of the bad weather on our return.
On the trip we passed by several waterfalls and saw Steller sea lions.We also saw the usual birds along the water and shoreline.The common murres act very much like a penguin except that they still fly.We did see one new animal we had not seen on any trip to Alaska which was the mountain goat.
As the decision was made to stay in ResurrectionBay rather than go around the cape, the captain headed across to the bay where humpback whales were reported to be.Sure enough there was a mom and calf.As we arrived they dove, but returned to the surface quickly, both breaching.Unfortunately our cameras were not pointed to the right location.She and the calf continued to breach and lob tail for our entertainment. We finally had to say good-bye to the whales as other boats were coming in to look.We are still waiting to see an orca as we saw none on either trip.They had been seen in the area the last two days.
The trip was cut short by 1 Â˝ hours so we were given a refund for part of our fare.
We had dinner in the trailer and spent the evening staying dry.
Tomorrow, if weather permits, we will go up to Exit Glacier.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!