One Last Chance for the Bears

Hyder Travel Blog

Little black bear

This morning I checked my feet for webbing and my neck for gills but none have appeared although both would be helpful in this weather.  For the first time in three days it was not pouring down rain, so we decided to try going out to the observation platform.  By the time we got there the rain had started again although not near as heavy as yesterday.

We were rewarded with a little grizzly walking down the road.  This little bear is a two year old, one of triplets, who along with its siblings was set loose by its mother this year.  He shows up frequently at the creek.

We sat by the ranger station to stay dry listening for the notification of bears on the walkie-talkies.

We also had a black bear walk down the road as well.

After going to “The Bus”, a well-known restaurant in Hyder, for lunch we returned to the viewing platform to watch several more bears before giving in to the rain and heading back to the trailer.  All in all we saw five different bears down at the creek.

The creek has risen dramatically with all this rain.  This has slowed the salmon swimming up to spawn and has made it too deep for the bears to fish easily.  So, the rain that helped the first of the week has now hindered the bears.

Tomorrow, unless the sun is shining brightly, we will continue on toward Prince George.

Behind the boardwalk