Back on Prince William Sound

Valdez Travel Blog

Horsetail Creek Falls

At the risk of repeating myself, the skies once more were gray and threatening.  We were scheduled to go out on the LuLu Belle in the afternoon so the morning was free to do some exploring.  We used some geocaches to take us various places outside of town.  We traveled over what is known to residents as the “bridge to nowhere”.  Apparently it was built and there was no place to go once you were over it.  They are now building houses in that area and there are a few hiking trails.

Another cache took us out Mineral Creek Road.  This was a dirt road that leads to a hiking trail, but before you get to the trail there is a nice waterfall.  The road is washed out at the waterfall so we stopped there.

It was soon time to board the LuLu Belle.  This is a very nice boat, built by the owner and we were told that he lives on the boat.  We were hoping that with a smaller number of people viewing would be easier, but the boat was filled so it was just as hard to find a good spot as on the larger boats.  In addition, the weather turned really bad with rain and fog.  Wildlife was at a minimum and the owner was more interested in talking to the passengers than looking for wildlife.  So once again, no orcas.  I guess I’ll just have to wait until the next trip to Alaska.

We did treat ourselves to dinner out at the local Chinese restaurant.

Tomorrow we make the short hop to Kenny Lake.

Deep blue glacier iceberg