Kurdamir

Kurdamir Travel Blog

I stayed in Kurdemir for 3 days to meet with and follow the adventures of the Peace Corps volunteer there.  I was amazed by a few things.  First, Kurdemir is considered one of the worst places to live in Azerbaijan.  When I told people that I was going to Kurdemir the first thing that was generally said was how ugly, hot and muddy it was.  Really though, it was that bad.  I can think of two or three small cities in Mexico that I have lived in that were quite a bit muddier.

The volunteer there was another thing that was amazing.  I was very impressed with the place he had found for himself in this community.  There wasn’t a single organization in this town that he didn’t have contact with.  He used these organizations and people to fuel his projects in creative and integrated ways.  Certainly it made me excited to get out and do the same.

Lastly, it amazed me how I felt about the city.  I could be happy, work and survive there.  If this place is the worst that Azerbaijan has to offer, then pretty much no matter where I go I will do well.  That was a relief for me to be honest.

Still, I hope I go to a prettier town.

Josh teaching the class