Visiting San Marino

San Marino Travel Blog

I was driving in Northern Italy with my son. We had been staying in the wonderful area of Lago Maggiori, (please go there if you get the possibility), and we wanted to see more of northern Italy. We drove down to Milano and from there straight across the country and then saw that we where less than 300 km from the republic of San Marino where niether he or I had been before. The motorway from Milano to Bologna, Modena and Rimini is really good - it is like one big cut down in Italy.

The republic of San Marino was founded in 1866, and is situated between the two Italian provinces Romana and Marca. It is the worlds smallest republic. It is very hilly - the main part of the republic is situated on the Titano mountain, that is the most esatern part of the Appeniner mountain chain.

Pico de la Rocca (749 m) is the highest point in the little city state.  The official name is SerenĂ­ssima Repubblica di San Marino and in the Capitol there live under 5.000 persons and I personally think its a bit funny that there is only 220 km of road in the entire country. In the surrounding countryside they harvest grain and wine and they breed goats but there is no doubt that touristism is their main source of income.

The country is situated very close to the welknown city of Rimini and the coast of adriater sea which you can see from the top of the mountain on a clear day. From the top of this little state you have a marvelous view to everywhere around you. You can almost drive all the way up to the top, but you have to walk the last part.

Driving up to the top you have to participate in the local rally in the same way as when one drive in Andorra. It is like they local drivers has to prove that they are the mountain drivers in the world and frankly I think they are - the way they drive is breathtaking.

We did not stay in the "country" that long,  we walked around in the city of San Marino and bought some local souvenirs which turned out to be from India :D. After the walk we found a nice little restaurant with a view where we had a really nice late lunch before we drove to Venice that was the next point on the plan.

It was fun to have been there and especially for my son who enjoyed yet another country on his country count.