My Weekend

Tuy Hoa Travel Blog

It's been a little lonely here since Jess left, of all the english speaking people in this town, all 1­0 of us, she was the one I got along with the best, related to, had most in common, was closest to in age.  It rained this weekend and I lost motivation.  Ended up watching a few movies on HBO.  I spent alot of time thinking about my family, my dog, being at home, western food, my mom's food, my car, my friends.  It's going to be nice to be back home in a week.  The thrill will no doubt pass as quickly as it comes.  I'll probably be dying to get on the road again before I've even unpacked.  But as it is right now, as my trip is coming to the end, I can confidently say without a doubt, that I'm ready for it.  This trip, and there will be plenty of others, but this trip was amazing  and I'm ready to go home and reflect and share it with friends and family.

5 more days in Tuy Hoa.  3 Days in Ho Chi Minh. 24 hours flying Saigon to Hong Kong to San Francisco to Boston. 2 hours driving to Grafton.  I'm home!

I volunteered to teach english to some of the street kids over the weekend.  One of the Vietnamese "mothers" at the Home Of Affection, where we teach the street children Mon, Tues, Wed. nights offered up her house to teach in.  HOA is a govt. building and we're not allowed to use it to teach on the weekend.  This mother, Nga, has a classroom in the upstairs of her home where she tutors students for extra money.  I went there for two hours Sat. and Sun night, 6 - 8.  The first night it had been raining all day so not many children showed up.

There were probably 5 young street kids, a few "wealthier" students with homes who go to school showed up from the neighborhood, as well as a few "mothers", whose english is no better than the childrens.

The classroom was crawling with mice, literally, and bats were swooping past my head the whole two hours.  Everyone got a good laugh at my initial reaction to this.  "Oh shit!"

We had a fun time.  I passed around tooth brushes, vitamins, pens, erasers, and sharpeners in glad bags with their names on it.  None of the street children have there own anything.  I'm hoping they don't lose what I gave them.   Alot of the foster homes these children live in are not "comfortable" for them, due to violence or whatever.  So these children sleep at the train station.  It's very hard for them to find a safe place to keep there school supplies.  So I'm working with Viet and HOA to get each street kid there own bin to keep there things.

Tuy Hoa