She smiled! She smiled! She jumped up and down and laughed and smiled!

Tuy Hoa Travel Blog

It was pouring rain today.  In fact it has been and will continue to downpour on and off for as far into the future as the forecast can predict.  We pulled up to the orphanage in the taxi and got driven through the gate and straight to the buildings front door to avoid getting soaked.  And we had the most uplifting sight to greet us when we got there.  Thu and Huong were outside in the rain on the frontsteps jumping up and down waving and smiling.  I wish I captured it on video it made my heart melt.  We hadn't seen them since Thursday!! And they clearly missed us, and we missed them.  What a big change from the little girl the beginning of last week.

The games we've been playing and the toys we've been bringing are really brightening her day.

It's all she has to look forward to as far as I can find out.  Today I brought her crayons and pictures and books.  She asked me for a piece of my gum, that's the 2nd time I've given her a piece, I think it'll be a ritual now.  I also brought dried kiwi fruit which everyone loved.  The coloring was good for a little while, but I got bored and I think she did too.  So when I pulled out my camera to get snaps of the babies I let her have a go.  She loved it! The mothers gave a bit of a yell at her for using it (well it sounded like yelling but all Vietnamese sounds that way).  She got nervous about using it after that so I carried her to the other room and she was much more comfortable to have fun with it again out of sight of the mothers.
she likes it when I look silly.

The manager at the orphanage is a real pain.  First he comes up with some lame reason for her not to attend school.  And then today I wanted to take her out of the orphanage for lunch, shopping, anything really.  But he says no becuase she's doing something with the adoption agency today...yeah right!  This country really tries your patience.

The rain's leaking into our lovely home and causing floods, and the landlord (same jerk from the orphanage) says hes going to have the handyman hang plastic down the outside of the house to stop water leaking in the windows.  Mind you the windows were just put in a couple weeks ago and we just need waterproof caulk on the outside of the panes to stop the leaks.  Not a whole plastic bag around the house, crazy!

Went to teach the street kids english tonight.

I loved it.  I taught and Norma sat in with the class to guide them.  It was so much fun.  First we reviewed the alphabet and the phonetics of each letter.  Then we worked on greetings and the similarity between

my name is...

i am...

i'm....

and

what is your name?

what's your name?

We also played Teacher says - similar to simon says.

Rob and Marg invested in work books for all the kids so they got those today as well.  Jess is donating money to get them all uniforms which will be there presents for the mid autumn festival on Sunday (like christmas for them).  There will be a ceremony on Snday for all the kids (street and public and private school) and we've been asked to sing Michael Jackson's song "Heal the World".  HAHAHAHA  That was pretty funny.  Sing in front of hundreds of teachers and students?  I don't think so.  We'll play the cd.

So today was up and down for me.  I got real disheartened with the pace at which things are done and the hoops you have to jump through.  But I ended on a good note because the street kids were so brilliant tonight.  Alot of them actually learned something.

Thu and Thua