Power sightseeing in Yellowstone

Yellowstone National Park Travel Blog

We woke up in Idaho to a nice sunrise. We wanted to get up early, since we would discover Yellowstone that day, and be quickly on our way before the day was done. Just outside Island Park, we stopped for gas, as we knew we would be driving around Yellowstone all day and didn't want to be gouged by crazy tourist gas prices. We just happened to pick the slowest pump in Idaho. 20 minutes later, will a full tank of gas, we were on our way by 6am.

We started the day off at Old Faithful, watching an early eruption. You remember that woman we shared a campsite with in Banff? She just happened to be watching the same geyser erupt that morning. It was strange to meet her again! Our itinerary drove us through the park to see Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Firehole Lake Drive, Great Fountain Geyser, Virginia Cascade, Artist Point, Mud Volcano/Dragon's Mouth and countless bison along the way.
Old Faithful
The physical beauty of Yellowstone is fantastic. There are so many sites to see and they're all so different from anything we've seen before. However, what we didn't enjoy was the driving aspect that seemed so absent in Glacier. The shuttle service in Glacier keeps cars off the road and lets you see a vast amount of the park without having to look for parking etc. Yellowstone is very car-friendly, which can be great for traveling families and to see a lot in one day, but can take something away from the national park, especially in the middle of the day when all you see and hear are lines of cars, motorcycles and RVs along the roads. It almost felt a little bit like a self-driven safari or a disneyland ride. Stop and pause at this attraction and view the wildlife! Now ahead on your left.
Artist Point

By the afternoon, we were ready to find a campground and settle down a bit. It was a hot day and we don't use the air conditioning in the car to save gas, so it gets a little hot getting in and out of the car all day, without any real relief from the warm weather. We drove on through Teton National Park and found a campground there. It was a standard RV campground with big spots, full facilities and lots of big families with two or three tents per site. It wasn't the most beautiful campground (especially compared to our last night in Idaho), but it was somewehre to sleep, so we set up our tent and lay down in the shade for a bit to try and cool down.
It's the not the best place to rest, since some of the families are pretty loud and obnoxious! We spent the better part of an hour listening to a teenaged girl in the next site complain about how hot is was, "Oh my gaaaaawd. It's so hot. I hate it. Is it always this hot? Ugh!"

After an early dinner, we took a walk through the campground and took a shower in their facilities. A $3.50 shower is not what we're used to, but we hadn't showered in a while and times were dire! After about 5 minutes of scrounging through my bag for enough dimes and nickels, I dropped a heavy pile of change into the attendants hands and prayed my math was correct. "It's ok. Go ahead" he replied after seeing the half-concerned look on my face. Please let me be clean!