Idaho? Why not.

Island Park Travel Blog

She was NOT just licking spilt tomato soup off a brochure and did NOT just get a papercut on her tongue.
The alarm clock worked today and we woke up for our last morning in Glacier National Park. How sad! We had had such a great time here, but it was time to move on and discover more of America's wild west. We started with a pancake breakfast, a bit of a challenge on a camping stove... nevertheless, we had a fluffy and delicious breakfast and were soon on our way South towards Yellowstone National Park. The plan was to just start driving. We didn't have a plan, a campsite, and were running low on food, but we set out with an open mind and experienced road trips the way they should be.

We listened to some nostalgic playlists that brought us back to the 90's and high school. You know... that time when boy bands were big. It's surprising the memory for Backstreet Boys lyrics we had.
Henry Lake State Campground
Hey, the music doesn't have to be good, as long as you're having a good time! Add some beautiful Montana scenery, gorgeous weather and winding back roads and you've got yourself the perfect drive. To make the deal even better, we encountered a few pilot cars.

Driving into Helena, Montana, we were on the lookout for a Costco. Now by the end of our trip, we were pretty good at just guessing where the Costco was as soon as we entered a sizable city. Suburb. Along a highway. Beside an off-ramp. Red Stripe. Love Costco.

We continued south towards Wyoming and Yellowstone, and soon found ourselves in the very Banff-esque town of West Yellowstone. We drove through the park gate and grabbed a park newsletter. It was getting to be late afternoon, and the nearby campgrounds were almost full, so we turned around and left the park after driving about 100 metres (gotta love that annual National Parks pass!).
Henry Lake State Campground
We pulled out our trusty AAA Montana/Wyoming map and spotted one of those glorious blobs of green: a State Park. We will come to learn that you can drive into any State Park and within 5-10 miles, find a state campground. For about $10, you can find a spot for the night in a basic campground. The blob of green we found happened to be in Idaho, just West of the entrance to Yellowstone. It wasn't on our itinerary to get into Idaho, but why not? I love potatoes!

Not long after entering the park, we found a campground in Henry Lake State Campground. It was a gorgeous, quiet and fairly empty campground, but after a long day of driving, it was exactly what we were looking for. We were greeted that night in the campground by a gorgeous sunset that lit the campsite with that soft dusk light and we were ecstatic about our find.
Digging for potatoes in Idaho

We brought out the treasured organic creamy tomato soup for a treat and the giant 4lb box of grapes we had gotten earlier from Costco and had ourselves a little feast. Now this tomato soup is no ordinary tomato soup. It's delicious... fantastic... and we would do almost anything, should some drip from our cups. I mean, I'm not saying we wiped spilled soup off the picnic table with a peace of bread *cough*... or licked a drop of soup off of a Yellowstone pamphlet we had been looking at, resulting in a papercut on the tongue *cough*. Nothing too crazy.

That night, I made my first call home on Janelle's cellphone. It was her idea as she wanted me to wait for her while she brushed her teeth, so I said I would make a quick call and then walk back from her. For the next hour, I listened to my mom talk about everything that had happened in the last month. I got the news on my dog, my brothers, my aunts, uncles, and cousins, even on the state of my brother's car. All the while, Janelle amused herself by taking pictures with my camera. Flash at night is fun.

Idaho? Check.
She was NOT just licking spilt tom…
She was NOT just licking spilt to…
Island Park