(my) Sense and the city (6)

Paris Travel Blog

(cont'd...) Why I chose not to give out more details about the the Louvre museum is simply because we did not go inside it. I remember we were trying to catch more places to see that day around Paris, so entering and viewing all the antiquities displayed in the museum, I was told, would at least take several hours. We opted out. Though I can definitely say that this palace-turned-museum is the biggest and impressive one I've seen in my life - at least looking from the outside. The modern pyramid-inspired glass entrance situated at the centre of the Louvre place is an excellent contrast to the museum's archaic rectangular building, citing the differences between each architectural era it was built; the glass-pyramid which was constructed, of course, at a much recent time - during the late '80's, I guess.

Only the lobby of the museum is where we went in further after we had our chance at a long queue from the entrance. We then took some shots beside the overhang inverted pyramid and simply merged in with the crowd around. Later on, we found our way outside. I took particular interest of the place just lately because of the Da Vinci Code movie, where the place had more of central thematic highlight in the movie.

Moving on, we took the elevator right by the inverted glass pyramid and emerged inside the other one right above it. Aside from metal grids created by these pieces of glass constructed like cards placed close to each other, I would have had a clear view of the open court of Louvre.

But not to be disappointed, as soon as we came out from the pyramid, couple of things greeted us: the cold wintery air enhanced by the open plaza, and the impeccable exterior details of this immense building museum. From where we stood, details of masonry's work at the imposing building facade weren't as visually clear, but series of intricately done columns and golden inspired girders that run parallel to the length of the building still reflects its classic beauty.

Once again, like what we did when we were on Sacre Coure de Basilique, we chased each other to compete for better vantage shot and jumped like kids as the camera's flashes kick in. Being in a historic sight like this, it comes as a privilege, not as status per se, but more so as a chance to relate how the past generations saw the Louvre with awe, and felt with certain humbleness when they're faced with this impeccable architecture.

And so were we - from each corner of the building, we made sure we had seen more of it, and bagged them to our memory to savour long after this trip is done.

The crowd outside was not as many compared to the ones who were trying to get inside the museum. But we were as contended even from the get-go, as for me and my wife, outside of the Louvre is equally satisfying as it is from the inside.

Our day of Paris exploration did not end there, we felt that there was a need for us to discover whatever Paris has more in store for us. I knew there is; the one I've been dreaming to see even when I was a child. It is the Eiffel tower. TO BE CONTINUED.