Vienna day II

Vienna Travel Blog

The second day I started early with a meeting which lasted until noon and from there I said good bye to my friendly hosts and wanted to see some more of the beautiful white city.

I checked out from the fantastic hotel and left my luggage there for a later pick up. The weather was nice but cold. I strolled the streets and was taken by the numerous white buildings widely spread all over the city centre. Vienna is a truly beautiful city if you are in to classical style.

I started by visiting the fabulous Opera House. The building itself was erected between 1863 and 1869 as one of the first great monuments of the new Ring Boulevard. The Royal-Imperial Court Opera Theater, as it was first called, was designed by the architects August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll.

Being such a cold day made me decide to seek inside. I visited the The Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Naturhistorisches Museum. The two museums have identical exteriors and face each other across Maria-Theresien-Platz on the Ringstraße.

The two wonderful Ringstraße museums were opened in 1891 and were built between 1872 and 1891. The museums were commissioned by the Emperor in order to find a suitable shelter for the Habsburgs' formidable art collection and to make it accessible to the general public.

The buildings are rectangular in shape, and topped with a dome that is 60 meters high, the façades are built of sandstone; inside the buildings are lavishly decorated with marble, stucco ornamentations, gold-leaf, and paintings, making it a spectacular work of art in its own.

After spending most of my afternoon hurrying through these two enormous building I manage to visit a small Dali museum before I had to head for the airport and a late flight back to Copenhagen.