a rocky time in the Rocky Mountains

Grand Lake Travel Blog

looking across Grand Lake
So I finally made it to Grand Lake, and I'm staying in a lovely hostel called Shadowcliff - very alpine lodge-esque, they run lots of environmental sustainability workshops, right on the edge of the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Unfortunately yesterday it basically rained all day, so there wasn't much opportunity for exploring.  In a way this was also good because my leg has been really stiff & sore ever since I tried water skiing - getting even worse in the last few days, which of course resulted in me becoming a hypochondriac and deciding that a) my leg was fractured and I just didn't know it, then b) I had a blood clot/DVT (until I reminded myself that DVT is not actually caused by altitude), then c) I'd torn a ligament (until I reminded myself that ligaments are attached to joints - so then it was a torn muscle instead).
the view from Shadowcliff

So I spent the entire day inside - reading, interneting, eating, etc - and after a quick online chat shook me from my hypochondria with some practical ideas for my leg (thanks Dr A.), I rested & heat-packed & stretched & iced & ibuprofened... and maybe it all helped.

This morning, after the fog lifted, the sun was shining gloriously & my leg felt ok, so I headed out on an easy hike up North Inlet Trailhead.  Actually ended up being close to 7 miles, lots of pretty trees along the way, and a waterfall at the end.  Leg still felt a little stiff & not quite right, but it carried me through.  In the afternoon I went and explored downtown Grand Lake - the lake itself is the largest natural lake in Colorado, very pretty scenery, and some cute shops along the main street.

And suddenly the world doesn't seem so gloomy & I'm not going to die from my leg injury & Grand Lake is a nice place to visit.
the view from Shadowcliff
rocks in the Rocky Mountain Nation…
rocks in the Rocky Mountain Natio…
Grand Lake