let's talk about Amtrak

Granby Travel Blog

So Amtrak (the USA-wide passenger trains) are not really known for being on time, and I know that, but still...

I checked up on the train status before I left the hostel & it was estimated to be 20mins late.  Well I waited for 2 hours on a freezing station platform for this train, all the while stressing that maybe I'd somehow missed it (even though the town is so small it would've been impossible for a train to go through without me noticing).  I also kept having to open up more bags and put on more clothes.

I walked down the street to call Amtrak (still stressing the train would come & I would miss it, even though I was only 50 metres away) & when I finally got past Julie (yes, the Amtrak automated person has a name), the real person told me the train was estimated to be there at 10:27, about 20mins late.  This was at 11:25.  Luckily she realised this & went off to check up on the train status (me on hold, stressing the train would come whilst I was on the phone...) & told me it was due any minute.

About 25 minutes later, the train finally arrived.

photo by: silan