Mascara is awesome. And so is barbecue.

Kansas City Travel Blog

My train from the southwest arrived in Kansas City at about 7:30am today, and my 'connecting' train on to St Louis didn't depart until 4pm.  So I had a little bit of time to kill.

It took me a while to wake up / eat / nap / freshen up / rearrange luggage / store bags.  Even then I still felt half asleep, and my hair really could have done with a wash, but put on some fresh clothes, shove some contact lenses in my eyes, and whack on some mascara, and it's amazing how presentable / vaguely awake I can look!

I basically just spent the day wandering around shops, on a (failed) mission to find some more cross-stitch supplies.  Kansas City seems nice enough, but nothing amazing to write home about… EXCEPT for my lunch.

Kansas City is apparently the home of barbecue - as in the slow-roasted-meat-with-tangy-barbecue-sauce kind of barbecue.  So I figured the least I could do was try it out.  I got some 'carry out' from Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue - apparently the best in the entire country, according to one guidebook.

It was AMAZING!  The sauce was fine & dandy, and I had some excellent coleslaw as a side, but the meat… It was just so melt-in-your-mouth tender & delicious.  After my first bite I immediately wished I'd ordered the Jumbo instead of the Mini Jumbo.  Of course I was perfectly full after the mini, as I expected I would be, but I just wanted more of such deliciousness!

Some day I must return to Kansas City and eat more barbecue.