Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town

Chicago Travel Blog

After yet another ridiculously early train departure (come on, 4:30am??) I arrived in Chicago at about 10am.  I was in Chicago for a couple of days in 2006, and the weather was crappy, but I still really liked it.  So I was excited to be back, even just for a day, and even more excited that the sun was shining & it seemed quite a nice day.

However after spending 20 minutes in the information centre planning my day, suddenly it had clouded over & become quite chilly.  Suddenly my carefully crafted plan seemed not so great - going up the Sears Tower (oooh look! The inside of a cloud!), and taking a river/lake cruise (a grey day on the water in the Windy City?...)

Although, today's trivia: the nickname "Windy City" for Chicago has no basis in the weather - it was originally used by a journalist way back when, referring to Chicago's politicians.  There you go.

I ended up walking down Navy Pier anyway, and there was definitely a breeze coming off the lake, so I headed to the Museum of Modern Art, and once again things turn out for the best because it was Free Tuesday!

There was some pretty cool stuff there, and then I wandered a few shops & headed back downtown & got back on another train to head to New York City...

photo by: mahoney