Week 2

Busan Travel Blog

buildings everywhere

I must say the Koreans I have encountered have been really great to me. They also really want to practice their english with me.  Complete random strangers will come up and talk to you, or ask you to join them for dinner....dont worry mom, I'm being careful. The notion of don't talk to strangers flys out the window since everyone here IS a stranger to me, even the foreigners (lol).  I went out for dinner with a local korean guy named Sun and we had galbi which is Korean BBQ. It was amazing. You wrap everything up in a leaf and eat it. Now you are supposed to eat it all in one bite, like shove it all in your mouth type of thing. But I must say the "bundle" is so huge there was no way some of them were going in without me taking a bite from it (lol).

The view from Hwangnyeongsan
Also Koreans love the phrase "bottoms up" I think more than cheers because they get to chug the entire contents in their glass in one shot (lol).

I am getting the hang of chopsticks, but most of the time its anything goes, no real structure...and no points for technique (lol). But its all good.  I manage to laugh at a lot of things, I think you have too in order to survive this type of journey.

I met Sarah (sechambers on Travbuddy) on Wednesday night by a complete fluke!!! I had commented on her wall when she got here to give me a shout a while back and Thursday afternoon she was like hey I think we met last night. (lol) It was pretty classic but the foreigner community is like a mini high school. Everyone knows everyone or knows a friend of someone.

Its a pretty tight-knit community. Many only stay a year so it seems like you are always saying goodbye to someone and hello to someone else, which is going to be difficult.  I was at a bar for open mic night when I met sarah. It was a friends birthday and we were there having drinks and watching Jen (write817 on Travbuddy) perform. She is amazing both as a performer and a person by the way, truely great! It turned out to be a great night, what I remember of it anyways (lol).

I finally found a conveter for my computer but it is half the size of a shoe box. It is an industrial one (lol) used for tv's and whatever but it was the only one I could find so it will do. Hey at least I am on-line now, listening to music and watching the movies my sister sent me (along with the cord for my camera.

..yeahhhh...so I have been snapping pictures like crazy (lol). Camera withdrawl (lol). I also got a cell phone on Monday so things have been falling into place nicely.  Finally! hehehe.

I work at a hagwon (private school) during the days. I'm beginning to learn all the kids names and everything else that comes with it.  Henry came to hug me and gave me a kiss, Kevin gave me a sticker, and Angie said she loves me. It is really cute!!  All the kids have english names that they have picked to make things easier. I have a friend back home I love dearly named Angie so I think about her often.

This weekend is Thanksgiving here, Chuseok, so I have the Monday and the Tuesday off work. Some friends are going to Tawain but I dont have a re-entry visa yet and have to hand in my passport to get my alien resident card. But thats alright, it gives me the opportunity to travel around Busan and check a few things out locally. I can't wait, should be a great long weekend!!

Eatting Galbi!
Seomyeon
Seomyeon
Gaya, leaving a bar at 5:45 am
Gaya, leaving a bar at 5:45 am
I just had too...they never have a…
I just had too...they never have …
Gwangalli beach