Almost Bahtless

Bangkok Travel Blog

One of the best things about Travbuddy is that it brings people together- figuratively and literally. And that's the very reason why I just found myself on the grounds of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 2, trying to catch a flight in the evening of August 13.

I was with a long-time friend Cathy who claimed she badly needed a vacation and was willing to join my trip wherever I go. As we both came from work which ended at 530PM and only had an hour to complete the pre-boarding procedures, it was not surprising that we heard our names in the airport's PA systems, being announced as the last remaining passengers who have not boarded the flight. As an airline employee, it is a mortal sin to be in such a situation. But more than that, I was worried about how some colleagues who work at the airport, who have possibly heard my name, would make fun of my poor self.

But what mattered most is that we made it to our flight. In three hours and a half, we will be landing in the city, host to my first-ever TB travbuddy meet up aboroad--- BANGKOK, baby!

It brought me a different feeling of joy and excitement to be back in Bangkok. The last time I was here was exactly (yes, August 13, 2007!) a year ago. We met our driver  who picked us up from the airport and dropped us to Grand Watergate Hotel in Petchburi Road. Roundtrip airport-hotel transfers was included in the accommodation that I booked which by the way was a very good deal (will write a review about it soon).

After check-in, we were already starving. We went down to the reception to exchange some Dollars to Bath which unfortunately was a service our hotel does not offer. Since Pratunam was so near our location, we tried to look for Currency Exchange centers. After almost an hour of searching the whole Pratunam area, we were beginning to accept the fact that it was impossible for us to find one at 11PM. We even tried paying USD at some 7-Eleven stores which was obviously impossible. Just before we completely gave up, and bared the agony of hunger, I saw two white girls in the store who were looking at the magazine stand. After telling Cathy about idea, she approached the two girls and tried to exchange a few dollars from them. Not that I bullied her but I thought it was more likely for a fellow girl to accomplish the plan. Cathy was refused... but it was not at all a bad idea when the girls told Cathy about their hotel just a few steps away who can change our dollars, and solve our problem once and for all.

Whoohoo! At last, we were not penny-less, or rather Baht-less,  in Bangkok anymore. Since the restaurants were already closed, we just purchased some cookies and cup noodles from 7-Eleven which we brought to the hotel. Good thing, our first night in Bangkok didn't end in a hungry note. =D

ahaduca says:
galing mo bro! congrats...
Posted on: Mar 15, 2009
the_bloodsucker says:
issa! you're finally here. hahaha!

yeah, magkakasundo tayo dahil may fear of depth, speacially water, ako. and yes, let's plan something for our officemates. game, game?

:D