The weekly Apéros Urbains 2009 (evening street party) in Brussels - to be copied in other capitals

Brussels Travel Blog

The street party is 2h on its way

I was actually tired after a long week that had brought me to München in Germany and Linz in Austria and a great night out in Mechelen. I had planned to do absolutely nothing Friday evening. Just before I left the office my colleague and good friend Patrick asked what I was doing this evening, because there was the weekly Apéros Urbains 2009 street party at the Parliament and a lot of people I knew were going to be there. I went home and in my mind I was committed not to go; I felt like staying home it had been a long week. On the way from work I passed the party in my car and it looked like too much fun to not participate in. I called Patrick and said; I will be there!

The square in front of the Parliament is huge and normally on Friday evenings it is used to start of the City Rollers; a rollerblade party that drives around approximately 30km in the streets of Brussels.

The square is packed
Normally more than 200-300 people join the long roller train and there is even police on rollers; a DJ car is making sure the music is tredy and there are a couple of ambulance to the unlucky ones. I have written about that before in my blog; it is an amazing thing.

The street parties are really catchy and well organized; they come with a huge bar full of Carlsberg beer and the most popular drinks like Mojito’s, Caipirinha’s, wine, champagne and so on. There are DJ´s, beach chairs, transportable toilets and everything. The crowd coming to these parties is huge; my guess is a couple of thousands of happy party-go'ers, all in good mood.

I have never seen any trouble at any of these things in Brussels and for me that is a major possitive differende compared to a city like Copenhagen which I know pretty well. There you will always have some trouble makers. A major difference is also that the police is a possitive part of the crowd, they are there in uniform but you can see that they have fun and are in general in great mood too.

Action in the bar
It is a great way to have them as a part of the activities that this wonderful city offers.

This party was almost in my backyard and it looked great, so I had to join even though I had promised to go and play golf 100km from my home at 8am next morning, which meant that I had at least 1 hours drive.

I went and I was happy I did. The party was great; I had loads of fun meeting a lot of people I had not seen for a long time. I stayed almost to the end and left around 1.30am in the morning; looking forward to 4-4½ hours of sleep.

I will be back!

Chokk says:
For sure - they are the best to it:)
Posted on: Jun 22, 2009
bernard69 says:
Belgian people know how to have a good time.
Posted on: Jun 22, 2009
Patrick addresses the world
Patrick addresses the world
Friend photo
Friend photo
JF and Patricks wife and one of JF…
JF and Patricks wife and one of J…
The tram going home