Is there things happening in Aachen outside the famous Christmas market?

Aachen Travel Blog

I was up very early and it was a grey Sunday morning in Bruxelles. I decided to get most out of the day instead of stumble around at home doing nothing. I left for Antwerp because I wanted a cup of coffee down at the harbor, but decided that I had to aim for Aachen; many had told me that the city centre was nice. Most of the stories had been regarding the Christmas market but I would not wait so long time to go there.

I arrived after a bit more than one and a half hour and found the city centre quite full. There was a kind of home art fair on the market next to the cathedral and actually on every square in the city centre. You could acquire anything from a handmade cup to a swing to hang in your tree; there were music and people everywhere. I found that I had been very lucky to find a paring with so many people in the city.

I went in to the cathedral that turned out to be beautiful; a very narrow design that was filled with gold tiles in the ceiling. Besides that there were some enormous mosaic windows which were impressive. Most of the cathedrals I had been visiting were huge but this one was small but in all sense also much cozier.

I enjoyed the city centre as many of other German cities their Altstadt are always well kept and gently restored. I decided after some time to find a lunch place since I had not eaten any breakfast. There were many good places and I choose to go for Albrecht – Durer - Stube which was a bierstube just next to the cathedral and on the Fischmarkt. The stube had all of their customers sitting outside but I decided to go inside. I had a huge schnitzel and a very small Sion Kolsch which was good.

After lunch and a cup of coffee I walked to the Rathaus Markt or the Town Hall Square and found even more people there. I walked in to the town hall which was open for public and found myself standing in the meeting room of the city hall. The city hall was beautiful and after a brief walk in there I left for the streets again. I stayed for another hour before I decided to drive towards Spa and Luxembourg.

Aachen