A story from Foy-Notre-Dame in Belgium goes to Canada

Foy-Notre-Dame Travel Blog

The lonely life of a cow

Here is another of these small stories from the Belgiean country side at;

Église Notre-Dame-de-Foy

Rue des Claviats 4,

5504 Foy-Notre-Dame

In 1618 a Sanctuary was built to Notre-Dame-de-Foy’s devotion because a statue had brought miraculous cures. The locals sculptured several replica statues of Notre-Dame-de-Foy from the same oak tree; all these replica statues measured about six inches in height and three of these statues were actually sent to New France in Canada.

The small village of Foy-Notre-Dame

One story goes that Father Pierre Marie Joseph Chaumonot in QuĂ©bec had received one the replica statues in 1669 and soon after built and dedicated the chapel to Notre-Dame-de-Foy at the Huron Mission in QuĂ©bec and like a true believer this Father Chaumonot wrote that cures were attributed to the statue of Notre-Dame-de-Foy. Unfortunately the statue was burnt in the burning of the chapel, so I guess it could not cure everything!

In 1675, a Father Jacques Bruyas had received another of the replica of the statue, for Saint Mary’s Chapel in Tionnontoguen. This guy he had written that the unbelievers told him, that from the time Mary’s image arrived in their village, they were without fear and have received very evident marks of her protection.

You have to be small and narrow to get in here
Talk about magic oak!

In 1672, yet another replica statue was sent to Marguerite Bourgeoys of the Congregation of Notre-Dame at Ville Marie (MontrĂ©al), for the Notre-Dame Chapel adjoining to the hospital HĂ´tel-Dieu. The hospital HĂ´tel-Dieu was a part of the Religious Hospitalers of Saint-Joseph. In 1678, the chapel was replaced with the first stone built church in Ville Marie (MontrĂ©al), and the statue of Notre-Dame-de-Foy was then placed there for veneration. In 1678, Catherine Tekakwitha had visited Ville Marie, where she had seen the Sisters of the Religious Hospitalers of Saint-Joseph and the Notre-Dame Chapel, where they had the statue of Notre-Dame-de-Foy. It was noted that she without doubt had prayed before the statue of her beloved Mother, and also without doubt had seen Sister (Saint) Marguerite Bourgeoys. Presently, the statue of Notre-Dame-de-Foy (Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours) is at the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel, 400 est, rue Saint Paul, MontrĂ©al (QuĂ©bec). The present location of the Sisters of the Religious Hospitaliers of Saint-Joseph is at, 251 ouest, avenue des Pins, MontrĂ©al.

What I found amazing was that this little village was connected to Canada almost 350 years ago; today I can think that the world almost is getting too small but even this far back things were connected.

Chokk says:
We are truly alike in each our way! Ha, I liked that!
Chokk says:
I love it too - it is a lot of freedom but many people dislike it for themselves.

If I can drive a different way home from work every day; I would do it - just to see what's there in the next street:)
Chokk says:
Most of the times I have no plan - I just go where my feelings take me, and when I come home I try to get deeper in to what I saw! I like to find the stories of a city; every city has one!
The small village of Foy-Notre-Dame
You have to be small and narrow to…
You have to be small and narrow t…
The beautiful contryside