A serch for a mining museum

La Louviere Travel Blog

The slow canal

I had enjoyed my short but intense stay in Mons and was still not satisfied for the day, I was driving homewards but not with goal of getting home, there were so many places in this area that I did not know. I had just been searching for Van Gogh’s house in Cuesmes, but it was completely crowded so I turned to my GSP to find something out of the normal.

I found the coordinates for a mining museum and I was wondering what that was. According to my GPS there were only 20 kilometers to this new experience and the landscape was already nice to drive with ne experiences behind every turn. The region was not that many decades ago a rich mining area but that has completely changed today. Today this area as very high unemployment, and there are few possibilities to break the bad spiral this area has fallen in to, but maybe this mining museum was bringing some life to the area.

When I was I getting close to the mine I found myself driving in Wales’s or England’s shut down mining regions, but the houses here were all painted yellow and that had removed some of the gloominess from the streets. The streets were nice but it could not remove the fact that unemployment rates were hitting the bad side of 40 % in this region.

When I finally managed to pass the jungle of one way streets, I found myself in front of the main entrance of the mining museum, that was closed. There were nothing much more to do here than note the missed possibility and move further in my quest to discover Belgium.

La Louviere