Luxembourg

Luxembourg Travel Blog

Colours of autumn

My girlfriend Kaija had never been to Luxembourg so we decided to drive down there. Luxembourg is not that far away from Brussels, it is only a two hours drive and most of it is on the motorway - the tricky part is always getting out of Brussels. I had been there a couple of times but it had been a while since I stayed in the city of Luxembourg, so I was looking forward to explore the city again. I have mostly been driven through the country - especially going to Basel, but since I moved down here I have been trying to see some of the country side there as well when I have been down in that region.

The first of November was a nice day autum day with only 10 degrees celcius and a mild wind and almost no rain. Arriving in the city on a public holiday was also very nice - there was not that many people in the streets and we managed to get a parkingspace just in the middle of the city together with all the other tourist having the same idea as us.

Colours of autumn

The city of Luxembourg is beautifully situated on two big rock plateaus devided by a steep ravine. Today there is living 120.000 people in the city and 50 percent of them are foreigners.

The old city is surrounded by the old fortification that once were one of Europes strongest. It was also called The Gibraltar of Northen Europe. The fortification has 3 walls, 40 towers and 23 km of subterranean tunnels. When Luxembourg in 1867 was recognized as a neutral country it was on condition that they teared the fortification down which they worked on for about 20 years and never fully managed - which is good if you look to the beauty of it today.

Golden lady on a spear!