Leaving Bruxelles but never for good

Zaventem Travel Blog

Waiting for my plane at gate A 47

My days in Brussels are lacking towards the end and I am starting to look back towards a fabulous time that brought me close to a wonderful country where contradictions are flourishing and where life itself and personal well being are very important ingredients in the daily life. I will terminate my stay here by the end of the year and a couple of years have passed away in horrific speed.

I have come to love this place so much that I often wonder if I am doing the right thing in leaving; leaving a good life and wonderful friends. This stay have learned me a lot of things that I hope to bring with me the rest of my life or at least I hope that I will think thoroughly every time I do something that I should have learned to do in order to enhance my own life quality.

A cold Belgian beer to say goodbye
This is something I think the Belgians do without thinking about it.

I do consider the last couple of years here some of the best I have had, even though I on the personal level have had some hard times. When you reach a certain age I guess you know there is a price for everything. Eternal happiness does not exist. What Belgian has given me are a set of other priorities where life itself and the own well being has been enforced.

To my opinion there is a very high quality of life in Belgium, and my guess is that Belgians to some level take it for granted but there are an enormous amount of possibilities and variety. Every time I visit a supermarket I am amazed by the numerous of cheeses and the freshness of the vegetables, meat and fish. Every small supermarkets have a fish department. Something you seldom find in my home country Denmark. Even though Brussels is smaller than or the same size as Copenhagen I find Brussels much richer on variety.

Culture in Belgium and especially Brussels is much more evident and a part of the daily life. There are numerous of arrangements in the different quarters of the city, and you can always find something that appeals you or makes you think; which I find of equal value. What have impressed me a lot here has been the way that the police participate proactive in these events. If it is the Rollers of Brussels the police will be there on skates and there will   policemen on bikes leading the course with a smile. I just love that sight of a Friday summer evening.

Zaventem