Food Festival in Antwerp

Antwerp Travel Blog

Groen Plaats food festival

I don’t think I have been in a country where there is so much happening all the time. If it isn’t a music festival, brocante, city market; yes you name it they have it somewhere here in this country.

This day I went for Antwerp, which I think is one of the cities that I know the least in Belgium; not because I don’t like it but because I have planned so many times to go with my friend Marc who has lived there for many years before moving to Mechelen.

One of the first things you bump into in the city is the loads of diamonds; Antwerp is the diamond city of the world and there are loads of these shops in the area close to the central station, which also houses the huge Jewish community.

I had parked my car in a garage near the station which was around 2 euro an hour and which I found okay in a city centre. In general I think Antwerp is a mess driving around in due to all the one way streets and all the construction work going on. I find it much messier to drive in than Brussels.

I walked down the De Keyserlei towards the Meir with all its posh shops and beautiful houses. There were a lot of people in the streets and they seem all heading towards Groen plaats and no wonder why! There was a huge culinary food festival going on. Everybody was walking around with a plate in one hand and a beer in the other, and it was completely crowdie all over.

Chokk says:
No - I had too much the night before where a couple of Danish friends came by and made my night turn in to morning. I had lunch in one small café in a neighbouring street;)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2008
Sweetski says:
So, were you able to grab a plate and a beer too? :)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2008
Rubens
Rubens
More Rubens
More Rubens
Food art - making order on the her…
Food art - making order on the he…
The cathedral of Antwerp
Music and good atmosphere
Music and good atmosphere
Art left his hat on Meir
Art left his hat on Meir
Art left his hat on Meir!
Art left his hat on Meir!
Antwerp