Bispingen and my stay for the night

Bispingen Travel Blog

König Pilsner

For me 21.40 is a key time to find a gasthaus in Germany, many places in the countryside do close at 22.00 and they are sometimes hard to get to open after that time. It is very seldom that I look for a hotel in Germany; I usually leave the motorway and search from the nearest village 10 kilometer from where I leave the Autobahn.

At 21.40 I was about 60 kilometers south of Hamburg and I took the first exit. From then I follow two steps, I turn to my GPS to find a place to sleep and I turn to my intuition to find a place with a name that I like. This time maybe my snobbish side came out, because I fell for Konig-stuben in Bispingen, for sure a place I never had visited before.

Gammel Dansk Commecial

I drove some very dark and lonely streets all surrounded by woods and thought about a horror movie where a guy checked into a hotel in the country side some place in the States and got chopped up in pieces. I laughed of the thought because I had stayed in a German gasthaus so many times I could not count them and I had only had good experiences.

After 10 kilometer I entered a roundabout and found myself in a small cozy village with numerous cute places, where one could enjoy a great large meal and a cold German beer. I drove through the village centre and found the Hotel on a small road. It turned out to be larger than the ones I usually stay at and I was happy to find that they had a restaurant as well, because that ensures that they were open on a Friday night.

I parked the car outside and entered the hotel via the restaurant.

What a party place
An elderly guy which turned out to be the owner looked over his glasses from his spot in the corner of the small bar that was the central place in the bottom floor. His wife was behind the counter in the other end of the bar and she looked at me and then towards her husband. It was apparently his task to take care of potential hotel guests.

My appearance made him move a little, just enough so I knew that I had to go towards him to get any information. I asked for a room and he checked his computer, he only had a double he said, but I did not care. I take it, I said before he even mentioned the price, I was too tired to argue and I wanted to have a cold beer before they closed the bar as well.

The room was large and clean; it was obvious that they did not have too many young couples because the beds were like a week apart from each other! The bathroom was nice and in a colour that would have made Kermit disappear but I don’t mind green in a place where I spend very little time.

Kermit was here!

I went back to the car and got my stuff and hurried down in the bar to order myself a cold beer. It turned out to be a Konig pilsner which was very appropriate in a place named Konig-Stuben. I was offered a place just next to the bar and I didn’t put up a big fight! The beer was good, very good and just what needed after 6 hours of heavy traffic getting here.

I was enjoying the quiet evening and I fast found out that I was a couple of generations younger that the youngest in the place, but I did not mind as long nobody was hitting on me! I wanted a beer more and I was told that it was the absolutely last one because they closed the place at 11pm! Yes I was far out in no-where. This was the time to go to bed on a Friday evening.

I almost felt forced to drink fast, because it was only the owners that were still standing in the bar, all the others had turned in or what old people do before they start snoring!

While I was sitting there I was thinking about what the smell was that I could scent underneath the German countryside and after half an hour I got it, it was the smell from the kitchen but not just any kitchen but one that smelled of an old butchers shop! I could see on the menu that they were big in meat especially wild boar and now I could sense it.

The people here were all nice but very tired and they did not get up early too, you could only have breakfast as of 8am and I had planned to leave before that but while I was sitting there I decided to wake up, when I wake up!

sylviandavid says:
A fine story....well told... sylvia
Posted on: Sep 20, 2009