The African packer

Charleroi Travel Blog

Packing, packing & weighing

Due to the fact that I arrived late in Brussels; it was a delay on my own flight my friend Olaf and I had to drive almost directly to Charleroi Airport to pick Ewelina up as she was arriving from Warsaw with Wizz Air that fly from there.

The snow had really made an impact on European air transportation and the amount of suitcases standing in Zaventem airport was an all time high for me, but I think most of them were from connecting flights. The roads to Charleroi were usable but the Belgians are not used to drive in a little snow so traffic on the roads was also affected.

We arrived in Charleroi airport one hour before her scheduled landing so there was time to take a cold beer in the bar at the airport and have a talk.

Packing, packing & weighing
Olaf and I had worked together for almost 4 years and we had become really close during those years and we had met more than a couple of times during the year after I came back to Copenhagen and now I was to stay at his house in Mechelen over New Year.

Just next to the bar there was a weight for weighing your suitcase; as Charleroi mainly is a low cost carrier airport that comes in pretty handy. Over the hour we were sitting in the bar an African woman packed her suitcases on the weight. She had two small children with her that were running around or sleeping next to her while she was trying to make her suitcase weights keep under the maximum. She packed and packed; taking her heavy chains on and off and so on. It was a strange show to follow.

Luckily Ewelina’s flight was on time and we could pick her up. We had a meeting in Brussels with our friend Maxime at 10 pm which we had to honour.

Towards the arrival area
Towards the arrival area
The Arrival area
The Arrival area
Charleroi General Tips & Advice review
A modern airport
Charleroi Airport goes sometimes under the name Brussels South with is a major overstatement; the airport is situated 63 kilometres if you drive the f… read entire review
Charleroi