Getting to Baveno

Baveno Travel Blog

Isole Bella

Entering the Italian side you also meet the Italians; and I say this with a smile especially coming from the Swiss side where everything works. Here it is something different, nobody really care if it works - it is not the most important. Relax and take it easy.

I just love the way that you often are victim of a car in front of you that just stops and the guy or the girl just looks at you with a smile and tell you that they will be back soon, without that has any real definition.

They just leave the car with the emergency light on and walk away. Depending on how long I have been on holiday it has different effect on me. In the beginning I just can’t believe what I am seeing but after a couple of days or so I really don't care anymore.

The balcony

The road to Baveno takes you by the village of Verbania, where the traffic almost always is chaotic seen with Nordic eye. Once you have passed this city the rest of the way is a piece of cake so to say; and a good tasty one! This is a fantastic place that only brings a smile on my face; I just love this region.

By coincidence I found a hotel here a couple a years ago, nothing special but a nice one that have friendly service; and one that is open in the off season. I remember the first night I came there; it was very late and I had been driving all day and tired like hell. I was just looking for a bed; and they had only one room left; I just took it, I could not care how it looked or anything I just wanted a lay down. The room was nothing special but one I could sleep in, so I was quite happy.

Isola Superiore
Next morning I opened the drapes and entered the balcony and here I was almost stunned.

The view I had was breathtaking. I had the sun right in my face overlooking the lake with the two small islands of Isola Bella and Isola Superiore in front of me. The mountains surrounding the lake looked like a grey mist on the horizon. The lake was totally blank like it was made of ice; the only movement came from a small boat heading towards the smallest island of the two, Isola Bella.

I just sat in a chair and looked; looked until my eyes froze. This was the true life; I just missed a coffee and this morning was perfect.

Since that day I have stopped at this little hotel every time I was passing by; just to retrieve that sensation and I return like a Swiss clock work. I just love the feeling.

Isola Bella and Isola Superiore