Seb arrives in Chicago!

Chicago Travel Blog

Seb and my friend Jess at Guthrie's

For the first month I lived in Paris, I didn't have an apartment.  A fellow teacher at the school where I would be teaching offered me his couch until I managed to find one.  His name was Sebastien, and this summer he came to Chicago.

On his first night, I took him down to my friend's neighborhood where there's a great bar...Guthrie's.  It's unlike anything I'd ever seen in France, and I figured Seb would think it was a novelty and worth seeing.  I called up some friends and we all hung out at this place eating pizza, drinking beers, and playing board games.  That's the novel part...they have a massive bookshelf stocked with all your favorite games: from Battleship to Hungry Hungry Hippos and from Monopoly to Balderdash, you really can't go wrong.  We decided to play Scattergories...and while Seb's english is nearly perfect, he was finding it difficult to find (for example) words beginning with L to describe various things like "Things found in a refridgerator" or "Types of trees".

He was pretty exhausted, having flown into O'Hare from Atlanta...and to Atlanta from Memphis, where he'd driven from Arkansas.  We didn't make it a late night, but it was a fun one...a good start to his visit.

Seb and my friend Jess at Guthries