Port Douglas, Mareeba, Atherton.

Port Douglas Travel Blog

Main Street of Port Dougas

Port Douglas to Atherton.

When we booked into Pandanus Caravan Park for the second time, we were greeted like friends, the lady behind the counter handed me a leaflet from a local Bistro, Port O’Call, with a voucher to buy two meals for the price of one. Sounded like a great deal so when dinnertime came along we went to check it out. Looked really good so we ordered some Coral Trout for us both, and, yes, we were only charged for one meal, apparently the owners are Chinese, (there is a huge red Chinese flag draped down the front of the building,) and they decided to put on a special deal to celebrate the Olympics being held in Beijing at the moment.

Erle with the Bullock Cart at Mareeba Visitor Centre
We had a very nice meal of beautifully cooked fish at a most reasonable price. After the meal we went back to our comfortable cabin and watched the Olympics on TV at least we watched what the Australian Olympians were doing, and it seems they are doing just great, we cheered along with the rest of the Nation as they won gold at the swimming.

Next morning we were up early, ate our usual breakfast of a huge bowl of tropical fruit and toast, packed up and were on the way to Atherton. First we called into the local bakery for some sweet buns for the picnic we were planning to have along the way. We drove back towards Mossman and up the Rex Range Road, a quite steep road through the rain forest, that we travelled down last night, but unfortunately halfway up the mountain, Erle drove our small yellow bug into two very deep pot holes in the road, with a dreadfully loud bang, bang followed quickly by swish and flap, flap, flap noises, I barely had time to say ‘the suspension wouldn’t have like that’ before we realized that we had a puncture.

Me with the Bullock Cart, Mareeba.
Erle pulled off the road and checked. Oh darn, there were two punctures! He quickly changed one tyre with the spare and took off the other ruined tyre, and then we wondered just what we would do. At the same time a Good Samaritan driving by, pulled off the road and offered to assist. He quickly loaded both tyres and Erle into his Ute and drove them back to Mossman to have the punctures repaired. Poor me was left all alone on side of the road in the hot tropic sun, unable to get back into the car as it was up on jacks, and absolutely nothing to do but wander up and down the road as close to the trees as possible. The hill dropped off very steeply so I couldn’t get off the roadside at all. Fortunately we had some mandarins I could eat for moisture. After two long hours back came the Good Samaritan with Erle and two brand new tyres for the rental yellow bug, and an ice-cold bottle of water for me. A rather expensive mission, but the Good Samaritan would not take anything at all for his time and trouble – we certainly offered him payment, but he left with our blessings only, and we were back on the road again.
The Brahman Bull Statue at Mareeba

We had a pleasant drive on to Mareeba where we stopped off at a small park with picnic tables for our lunch, then we went to the Mareeba Visitor Centre where there is a great museum full of fantastic displays of the Aboriginal, European settlers, showing many aspects of their lives, like the hospital, the timber industry, the bird life, the mining, the War effort, the farming, the transport plus many other things, it was one of the best displays of its kind I have seen and it was for free, just a donation if you wish, we did wish as it was well worth the visit. We took a photo of the bullock pulling a cart and another of a Brahman bull that stands outside, before driving on to Atherton, where we booked into a cabin at the Atherton Hallorans Leisure Park. Headed back into the city to see the Crystal caves which are in the main street, but they were too expensive for us to go into, so we contented ourselves looking at all the crystals within the shop, decided to buy an Adventurine a deep green crystal with silver speckles within it; for people who love to travel and have adventures! Sounded rather like me!

Went to one of the big old Hotels for a good inexpensive meal, I had a play on the poker machines while Erle watched the Olympics on the big screen.

reikunboy says:
One of my friends lives in mareeba, works for the travel agent. What kind of town is it don't know much about it.
Posted on: Sep 14, 2008
Main Street of Port Dougas
Erle with the Bullock Cart at Mare…
Erle with the Bullock Cart at Mar…
Port Douglas