Enjoying Cooktown

Cooktown Travel Blog

Hotel Cooktown, the Top Pub a great old pub.

Enjoying Cooktown. The Top Pub.

We booked ourselves in for two more nights at Alamanda Inn, in Cooktown. We had a very quick swim in icy water in the swimming pool, amazing how cold it was considering the air temperature of about 30 degrees, but at all times in Cooktown a cool to cold wind blows in off the ocean so it is never really very hot, just comfortably nice and warm. The owners were amazed anyone wanted to swim in the winter, but they turned on the filtration unit so it would be warmer for swimming tomorrow. Other Kiwi guests said they too would be swimming tomorrow.

We headed back into town to take photos, but I soon found out that my digital camera had died yet again. Every time I fly it seems the rechargeable batteries lose their charge and I have to pay to have them revived, so I visited an electrical shop who very wisely sold me a small travelling recharger so I can fix the problem any where, good thinking.

We had been told there were two old pubs one for the locals and one for the black fellows and ‘others’; we decided to check them out. Both are big old wooden buildings with high ceilings and many wonderful old photos on the walls and both have a great feel of history and fun times of the past. Neither had any ‘black fellows or others’ in that we could see, I had a little play on the poker machines and a glass of wine while we checked out the menu for the evening in both places, we decided on Hotel Cooktown ‘The Top Pub’ the one the locals drink at, for a delicious Sunday Roast Dinner, and we actually dined at the same table in the garden area, with a local couple. The ‘Top Pub’ has budget accommodation; we heard a young man book in for the night for only $35 a night now that’s cheap!

We went back to Alamanda Inn and had a nice freindly chat with several other guests over coffee in the nice covered area between the buildings

Hotel Cooktown, the Top Pub a grea…
Hotel Cooktown, the Top Pub a gre…
Cooktown