EuroTrip 2008 Day 4 (London)

London Travel Blog

Day 4:

I woke up today looking for an adventure. I still find it kind of weird sleeping in a room with a few strangers. Like it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I feel bad if I wake up early and make a little noise opening my locker and stuff getting my clothes/stuff out. Anyways, today my new friends from Spain and my roommate Song decided to go site seeing together.

Oh, before I forget, my roommate Song (The Korean Chicago architect). Well, I forgot to mention that he’s been going through A LOT of crap lately. The first day I met him, I noticed he was a little worried about something. After asking him if he’s ok, he just kept saying he was fine. Yesterday, however, he fessed up and told me what was up. So apparently, the night before I got here, there was a sheisty guy staying in the room.
About to go into the Tower of London
Song said he was a bit naïve for leaving his passport laying around, and apparently he thinks that guy stole it. Since he’s a Korean citizen in the U.S. via a visa, it’s been extremely hard for him to get back into the U.S. He spent all day yesterday calling the U.S. and Korean embassies asking what he could do. In case you guys don’t know, the embassies have a special line and it’s pretty expensive to use it. I think he dropped close to $100 in calls. This just goes to show how careful you have to be with your documents.

To make matters even worse for Song, the hostel informed him his two weeks were up today. I guess there’s a time limit about how long you can stay in a hostel (or at least the YHA London Central).
The White Tower
He originally didn’t even come out for a vacation! He was out here for a job interview at some renowned architecture firm. Poor guy.

So we set out and went to the Tower of London. I must say, it was pretty touristy, but still somewhat entertaining. It's not everyday you can visit a thousand year old castle in the United States so I enjoyed the experience. So we walked through looking at all of castle, the exhibitions, etc. We were there for about 3 hours. I added some pics so you can see what the Tower is all about.

After the Tower, we headed over to the Tower Bridge, another typical attraction of London. We took a group pic (which you'll see). However, after the pic and on the way there, Song kind of pussied out. He said he was tired (couldn't hang with the partying he did the night before) haha, even though he got back to the room early.
The Tower Bridge and I
Personally, I just don't think he's used to a lot of people interaction, but that's just me. To each his own I suppose.

Anyways, so once he left, my Spanish friends and I continued to Tower Bridge. Pepa (Josefa) was feeling kind of tired, so she decided to just sit down outside while Alejandro and I went up the Tower, did the whole bridge experience etc. It was chill. Got some decent panorama views from up there.

After that, we headed towards St. Paul's Cathedral. By this time our feet were KILLING us, but whatever, we trekked on. We got there a little late. Apparently the entrance was closed and we accidentally walked in the exit and didn't pay. No, seriously, I know what you're thinking. Normally, I'm more than down to bypass paying, but this time it was really on accident.
Some hostelmates and I
Plus, it's a church for freaking sakes! I'm not gonna do something like that at a church! hahaha. Seriously, it wasn't on purpose. So once inside, we looked around. I was told about 4 or 5 times that no pics were allowed inside, but I managed to get a few pics in. St. Paul's is pretty damn impressive. The only burn was that we could only see half of it. Also, since it was late and a mass was about to be given, we couldn't see all of it. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Since Pepa and Alejandro had to leave tomorrow, they really wanted to see Buckingham Palace after St. Paul's Cathedral. We went, they did the deal with the pics and stuff, then we went back to the hostel. We chilled, drank some beers, and just chit chatted. We just talked about all kinds of stuff. From our friends and fam, to culture, to different kinds of music.
I showed them some stuff that blew their minds. It seriously still trips me out how good of friends you can become with people in such a short period of time, especially when you’re traveling. I also now feel very well equipped to take on the Spanish culture :)

Since they had a long day ahead of them, they went to sleep around 1. After that, I decided to hit up a local pub. I ended up talking with some locals and had a good time for a couple of hours. However, I had to wake up early tomorrow morning to bid the Spanish friends adieu, so I kept the partying within reason and got to the hostel pretty early (3am).

Tower of London
About to go into the Tower of Lond…
About to go into the Tower of Lon…
Some hostelmates and I
I always thought that building loo…
I always thought that building lo…
Random church we came across