3 days of hiking in Lamington National Park

Lamington National Park Travel Blog

Alpacca

I had slept like a log the night before, it was good to be in a bed as I usually sleep in a futon on the floor in Japan, not that I don't  like it I just usually toss and turn a lot so it was great to get a solid sleep and be refreshed for 3 days of hiking in the beautiful Lamington National park.

The bus came at 8.30 to pick us up, we were on a bus that was used mostly for day trippers who race up to O'Reilly'S where we were staying and spend a couple of hours there before heading back down to the gold Coast. We decided to stay for a few days to get a way from it all and to spend some quality time in the peace and harmony of the great outdoors to escape from our hectic lives in Japan.

The bus made a quick detour to a  gated community to get us up close and personal to the rich and famous houses of the Gold Coast, every house had waterfront views with the cheapest house being around 4 million dollars and a lot of the others were valued around 15-20 million.

It looks like I should break open my piggy bank and buy a house, I think I would have about that much money in it now.

After we left our fantasy land, we were back to reality as we headed for the road to lead us up the mountain. My son sometimes gets motion sickness but he was doing fine going up the winding roads. The bus stopped at Mount Tamborine, a very pretty little town full of galleries, craft shops and cafes. We only had 45 minutes here but I'm a bit of an art lover so I could have easily passed a few hours in this little town.  Before looking at any of the galleries we decided to get some morning tea as we didn't get to eat any breakfast, there is nothing better than freshly baked scones, jam and cream with a good cup of tea so they went down a treat or is it that I don't get to eat that kind of food in Japan.

The last place we went to was an alpacca farm, it was only a brief 10 minutes stop everybody raced into the shop but we wandered over to the Alpacca, Roy was his name a gorgeous white alpacca who's wool was so soft to touch. The bus driver came over and opened the pen and told my son to come over and give him a pat, then he took a couple of family pics for us. we then went into the shop and  there they had a balcony over looking the farm with a beautiful view.

We got to Oreilly's  lodge at around 12.30, check in went smoothly and we were shown to our room, which was quite simple but it had a balcony with a breathtaking view of Mount Lindsey??????? and of the Great Dividing Range that passes through the states of Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria.

We relaxed for a good 30 minutes enjoying the view with a nice cup of coffee but we weren't here to stay in our rooms all day it was time to check out this National Park.

We walked outside and were a little shocked, not to see all the rosellas, laurokeets or the king parrots but to see the large number of daytrippers hand feeding these beautiful birds. I thought we had come here to escape all these people boy were I disapointed admittedly it was a Sunday and only within a couple of hours from the Gold Coast and Brisbane so it was much better and quieter over the next two days.Seeing all these people made me crindge but my son thought it looked like a great thing to do so we bought some food  for the birds and joined the circus.

We had lunch around 2 and then decided to do a short hike on the boardwalk and the swing bridges that passes through the canopy of the forest but there were by far too many people and at times probably wasn't very safe as the signs said only a maximum of 4 people should be on the bridges at the same time, one time while waiting I counted 20 people.

Back in our rooms to relax on the balcony, thinking how great it is not to have a TV in the room I looked down to see a pademelon,  which looks like a kangaroo but only much smaller, so we went down to have a look I noticed the sign no day trippers, guests only and liked that idea. Down in the open fields, just out from the forest there were around 50 pademelons grazing on the grass. Here we were now not with another person, this is what we had come to the park for. We sat and watched for a good half an hour before going back to our rooms just before going back I had to check on the circus, were there many clowns or had they gone back to the city, I was happy to come back to report that they were gone for the day.

At check in, the receptionist gave us a list of activities that the lodge was offering during our stay and we noticed that there was a glow worm tour from 5-45.

It was 5-30 so we went down to check on that. A group of around 10 people boarded the mini bus to take us out to see them we were all given a torch and drove for around 10 minutes, the guide was in fact one of the O'Reilly's who was an ancestor of the original O'Reilly who started the lodge. It's been in their family ever since it started. Walking in the forest with a torch was a new experience for me I have done quite a bit of hiking but never at night so it took a while to adjust. we walked for around 10 minutes before the guide put a couple of pieces of apple on a log and then continued on until we heard the running of flowing water and then we stopped and were told to turn our torch off and look straight at the creeks bank, then very slowly the bright lights of the glow worms lit up the bank like it was a beautiful stary night, twinkling in the sky.
swing bridge
The guide talked, we chatted and laughed before it got too cold for us to stay any longer, remembering of course that we are in the mountains and it is Winter in the southern hemispherse. We turned back and walked our way back towards the bus but what do we see,  a beautiful possum nibbling away at the pieces of apple that our guide had left for his friend.

bernard69 says:
congrats on yr feature
Posted on: Sep 02, 2008
shirlan says:
congratulations on your feature!
Posted on: Sep 01, 2008
momiji says:
congrats on being featured, chris :)
Posted on: Sep 01, 2008