Ethan's birthday and the plan for the Yellowstone Trip

Saint George Travel Blog

I worked in Yellowstone for 2 summers, 1989 and 1993.  I was a waitress in the Grill, at Grant Village.  It was a great experience both times and I haven't been back since.  So when my mom and sister decided to coordinate a family reunion for Memorial Day weekend next year, which is about a week after Ethan's fifth birthday, I decided that would be a good time to go back up and see how things have changed since the fire of 1988.

Ethan's birthday is the Friday, the week before Memorial Day.  So what I am going to do is go home for the birthday and then head up on Saturday.  Saturday night will be spent in Jackson Hole, WY and then I can hike on Sunday through the Tetons, on the way up to Yellowstone.  Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights will be spent in West Yellowstone, MT and this is where the interesting part of the trip starts.  I have been traveling a lot lately, as you all know, and this is the first trip in a while where I am going somewhere familiar and don't feel obligated to plan things to do for three whole days of the trip.  I thought about this yesterday afternoon when I had a few dull moments at work, and planning ahead for a Yellowstone trip is pretty much impossible, beyond the regular "Where am I going to sleep" details.  The weather is unpredictable, roads may or may not be open that early, and the hiking and activities schedule is subject to change at any time.  So this will be a nice change of pace for a vacation, because this gives me the freedom to do what I want, when I want, without having to plan ahead.

Wednesday night I am going to stop in Salt Lake, on the way back home, and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights I will be at home, with the family.

And yes, I have already booked the hotels..   Lol!  Why do I feel this compulsive need to plan so far ahead?  I want to buy plane tickets to Orlando, and that's not for another year!

Saint George