Hiking to the Mogollon Rim

Camp Verde Travel Blog

I thought it would be cooler up there if I got there in the morning and hiked before noon.  Boy was I wrong.  I rented a SUV to drive on that awful road, and I got there and started hiking around 10.  I went about a mile and a half up the trail and the map said I should turn right at the fenceline and go another mile and a half to the Mogollon Rim, but at the place where I should have turned right, there was a gate across the trail.

Now, being tall as I am, normally i would have hopped the fence and continued on my merry way.  However, in this situation, the fence was made of barbed wire, and the posts to hold onto looked rather wobbly, so I decided to just turn around and go back, then up again and down again so I could get my 4 miles.

I made it back down ok, and then about halfway back up something possessed me to look at one of the new gadgets I got last weekend that is a whistle, magifying glass, compass, and..  you guessed it..  A thermometer.  The thermometer informed me that it was indeed, hot.  (100 degrees)  And suddenly I decided that was enough hiking for the day.  Back down the hill with me, and I hopped in the rather interesting SUV.

I was going to head home, but the truck decided it wanted to run through Payson, and I didn't mind too much, so that was the scenic way home.  I might try over there sometime soon, I saw many hiking trailhead signs that looked rather cool.  So we will see.

I couldn't find a link for the trail that I tried to do, but it wasn't all that noteworthy anyhow.