Pearl Harbor, Germaine's Luau

Honolulu Travel Blog

Pearl Harbor.

I find myself on the bus with people who speak many languages, on the way out to Pearl Harbor.  The tour guide is very nice and reassures me that the hike to Diamond Head which is planned for Thursday is very easy.  (Yeah right).

Security at Pearl Harbor is almost as bad as security at the airport, except I didn't have to take my shoes off.  All we can take in is our cameras, basically.  I bought a really cool little calendar, and a screen saver of Hawaii rainbows for later on.  They have a movie with actual footage of December 7, 1941, which most of the people in the room cried through including myself, and then it's off on the boat to the memorial.  Tons of pictures are taken, and then it's off to the Punchbowl Cemetary, which is the Hawaii equivalent of Arlington.  The shuttle drops me off at the hotel again, around 1 pm, and there is time for a nap before the evening's festivities.  I take a little nap, shower and get all dressed up for the Luau.

If you haven't been to a luau in Hawaii, I would really recommend Germaine's Luau.  They drive you about 27 miles out of Honolulu to a secluded beach with tons and tons of picnic tables right on the beach, and a nice stage to the east of the tables.  The show was wonderful, the food was good, and the sunset was spectacular.  It was a great evening, and I had a lot of fun.

photo by: crystalware