Maui, Whale Watching, Road to Hana, Home

Maui Travel Blog

This was a long long day.  The shuttle picked me up at 6:45 am, to take me back to the airport.  I had already checked out of the hotel, so I lugged my suitcases through the airport and got them back in Maui and then off to the rental car place.

I was in line at Alamo for about 45 minutes waiting to get the car.  They told me a shuttle would take me out to the parking lot where my car is, and once I got out to where I thought i was supposed to be, there was the car waiting for me, but it was around the corner from where they told me the shuttle was, so it took me about an hour altogether to get the car.  And it wasn't an economy car like I had requested, but I figured after all that time spent there it wasn't worth going back and arguing with them about it.

I drove from Kahului to Paia and looked at the windsurfers on Hookaipa Beach, took some pictures of the rainforest, and looked around some of the little shops in Paia.  By the time I was done with that it was time to start heading to Maalaea Harbor, where the Whale watch started at 3.  I was fortunate to be able to see about 8 whales, which was awesome, and we also saw some sea turtles, which I was able to get some pictures of.

Once the whale watch ended, it was almost 5:30, and I had to get back to the airport for my 8 pm flight back to Honolulu.  I got just a little bit lost getting back to the airport, but I made it in plenty of time to deal with Alamo again and make it to the gate.

My flight back to Honolulu was uneventful, and then I spent 3 hours at the Honolulu airport waiting for the flight which should have been leaving at 11:45 but because of "Mechanical problems" the flight didn't leave until about 12:30 am, which is 3:30 am Arizona time.

And of course i was sitting between two snoring people, and didn't get much sleep on the plane, so I was pretty tired when I got back home around noon on Sunday.

photo by: danielrice20