Diamond Head

Honolulu Travel Blog

What a day this was!

I had looked at the company's website and read all sorts of good reviews on how nice the hike is, and how old people with heart surgeries had been able to climb this GIANT mountain, so I am thinking well hey, I've been walking all over the place for the past 5 days, I should be able to do this with no problem.

yeah right

I got so hot and sweaty, I was able to drink almost my entire liter bottle of water before I even got to the top.  The tour guide kept asking me if i was ok, and of course I said yeah even though he probably knew different.. lol.

There were a couple of stopping places, and each time we'd stop I'd catch my breath enough so that I thought I would be able to make it to the top, but about 200 feet before the top, there are 2 giant staircases. The first one the tour guide referred to as the "Warm up staircase" which was 74 stairs.  Once I made it to the top of that one, the view was so gorgeous, and then I looked to the right like he'd told us not to do, and saw a staircase which was reported to have 99 stairs.  I just told the guy that I couldn't do that, and I got a nice rest almost at the top while the rest of the group went on ahead without me.  I figured, I had almost made it, and the view was beautiful enough from where I was.

when they all came back down, I was thankful I didn't go because one of the taller guys I had been walking with said that there was one section where the tunnel was only about 4 feet tall and he had to literally get down and crawl on the ground to get through it, and I know that if I had gotten down at that point I probably wouldn't have gotten back up..  lol

I got a certificate that said I finished anyway, and the walk down was a nice relief.

This afternoon was spent soaking in the hot tub, and napping.  Dinner was at a seafood restaurant down the street from the hotel, and early to bed.

Honolulu