Don't you know that only fools are satisfied. Dream on but don't imagine they'll all come true.

Helsinki Travel Blog

The last week or so has really made me realize how truly blessed I am. Five years ago I didn't even really think I would go to school. Now here I am in my third year, studying in another country! I have been so blessed be the support my family and friends. Heck, I am even blessed in getting to put myself through school; it makes me that much stronger. I am getting do experience things that few people ever get to. Lots of people travel, but how many people go and truly immerse themselves in a culture? I am blessed to have met some amazing people here already, people I know I will remember for the rest of my life. I have come to the most beautiful place I have ever seen. The pictures I took do not even come close to showing the beauty of this county. My main point… I AM SO BLESSED! And I love it.

The past week has been a pretty good one. I had one really bad night where I was extremely homesick, especially for my grandma. I honestly don’t remember a time I cried like that except for when my grandpa died. I knew that leaving would be hard, but I was in physical pain I was so hurt inside. I sobbed for hours. I wrote my grandma a letter that night letting her know how much I love her, and that made me feel a little better. I also got an unlimited calling plan through Skype so I can call the US as much as I want and it was doesn’t cost much.

Last weekend we were invited to Alma’s family’s summer cottage. It was beautiful! It is near Kinnula, Finland. I don’t know if I have laughed so much in one weekend ever. It was so much fun. There were seven of us that went and sometimes there was a language barrier, which made things more fun. We sauna-ed, rowed, went to a Finnish wedding, ate great Finnish food. I could not have asked for a better weekend. The weather was amazing all weekend long. It’s rare to have a sunny day here, and the whole weekend was sunny!

Right now I am getting ready to eat dinner with two of my roommates. The other night all five of us ate together, it was really great to get to know each other a little more. And also try food from one another’s country. Tomorrow we have one more girl moving in. her name is Nina and she is from Austria. After her our apartment is full until the end of October when Dianthe and Tonja go back to the Netherlands.

Tonight I am going to a get together for exchange students. It should be interesting. It’s at two bars… we move from one to the other, at the first we are doing a movie quiz (the main reason I am going) there is a chance to win a trip to Ireland. I know I won’t win but the thought of it is exciting and it should be interesting to see anyways. I have class at 8:30 in the morning so I am not staying late or drinking… I make a terrible Finnish student.

Helsinki