Emerald Isle

Ireland Travel Blog

Go neiri an bothar leat!
I cannot believe its almost been a month since I've returned from Ireland!!!
Everyday of the tour I went on was spectacular and unbelievable! Tour started and ended in Shannon and I got to see the majority of the Irish coastline. Best places: Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran Co Donegal; Cliffs of Moher; Giant's Causeway; Dublin; Blarney Castle (I kissed the Blarney Stone!); Garnish Island, Ilnacullin; Killarney National Park. Our tour guide and driver were  so knowledgeable and would tell us history & legends, and then would answer our curious questions like "Are the license plates personalized? Whats the best car to have here? Why do the sheep look like they had food coloring dumped on them?"
For only being in the country for less than 14 days, I don't think I would have been nearly as impressed with only visiting the Republic. N. Ireland is just as fasinating even with tension and without the fighting. Londonderry (or Derry) is a great city to see the 17th C. walls, the great strides to peace and rememberance. Belfast has its own history from the birthplace of the Titanic to the buildings that have been rebuilt numerous times during the Troubles.
Everywhere in Ireland you see history being made. No longer are kids being forced to leave for jobs after getting an education. More houses (rural and urban) are being built along with bigger and better roadways to get around. The Celtic Tiger is all around.
If you love nature, landscapes, sky, water, and history, Ireland (in whole) is worth exploring. I would honestly go back in a heartbeat to keep exploring.