Salt Flats Day 2

Uyuni Travel Blog

We were awoken for breakfast at half 6 and were out of the door by 7, for a day of an incredible amount of driving.  The landscape was no longer salt at all, but instead desert and sand, with numerous volcanoes dotting the horizon.  We stopped at a few lakes along the way, each known for a different colour, one even being bright red.  All the lakes were chock full of pink flamingos who looked spectacular as they took low flight, skimming along the coloured waters surface.  The red lake was the last and by far the most spectacular, as the landscape was barren and rocky, making you feel as if you were on the moon.  The lake itself was a surreal shade of maroonish red, encrusted with white from some kind of mineral.  We stopped once as well for some strange rock formations carved by the ever present fierce winds.
  The rocks, and one in particular, were decidedly Salvador Dali-ish in appearance, and as he's my favorite artist I snapped loads of pictures of the most defined "rock tree."  Throughout the journey we rotated spots in the jeep often, for the backseat was full of dust pouring in from somewhere in the back.  This could only be lessened by opening a window in the middle seat, this however created a cold wind directly into your face.  We climbed altitude continuously all day, and it got colder and colder as we were above 4000 meters.  The 2nd night of the Unuyi tour is notoriously cold, as you stay in a basic "hotel" in the middle of nowhere with only a small generator to power the lights and a tiny burning stove for warmth.  This is where I am now, and as our late dinner has finally just arrived, I shall go for now, most likely to sleep directly after.
photo by: razorriome