Machu Picchu Day 3

Cusco Travel Blog

The third day of the Inca trail is by far the most beautiful.  The beauty of the Andes is combined with the mystical jungle to produce a fairy tail trail.  Bamboo trees and lush vegetation overhang the uneven stone walkway, while the mountains grow even bigger and greener in the background.  We've been absolutely blessed with the weather, it hasn't been rainy nor too hot, the mosquitoes have stayed away and the sweaty stickiness avoided.
    The day had the same schedule roughly as all the others:  Hike from 7ish, at around 1 stop for lunch,  hike until the campsite, teatime at 5 (and overdose on popcorn!) and dinner at 7.  I did however get some fright in the early morning, when three meters in front of me there was a gigantic black bear!  They roam the mountainsides there but are generally afraid of people, and Fermin says they are vegetarians as youths but later grow into eating meat.  This one was so close it was scaring the guides around me, I tried to make up for the faceless dear picture I got earlier by nailing a perfect shot of this animal. I nearly had it except he wandered too close to a bush, and I didn't want to risk getting clawed or eaten alive by going closer.
    We arrived a bit later than usual to the campsite today, however, as although I could easily speed through the steep inclines, climbing down for a full day proved to be a tad more difficult.  At around half 3 we reached the final archaeological site, a fantastic terraced ancient garden spanning for seemingly ages down the mountainside, at at 5ish we arrived to our tents.
    As predicted, we spent far too long for my liking in all the archaeological sites we visited, with Fervin ordering me to "come closer" "take a picture" "another one with you" "ask me questions" and so on and so forth.  I was able to walk with my adopted group briefly, however at the first one of these sites their guide gave a brief overview and a choice to visit the site or continue on, yet here my guide whispered to me, "well be visiting the site for an hour or 2."  An hour or TWO!? I inwardly groaned and watched my friends go on without me, chatting and singing.
    The final campsite has a bar, and I was able to sit back with a beer and a cigarette in the high Andes, completely content and pleasantly surprised by the mix of old and new.  I ever had phone coverage!  After dinner I had a drink with Fervin and even brought the porters a round, but unfortunately my adopted group never came to hang out after dinner, so I went to bed fairly early.
thomasjbartyhead says:
And I was so glad when you did have coverage to send me such a nice text :-)
Posted on: Sep 24, 2008