Cuenca Travel Blog

Needless to say, I moved hostels the next day to one both the Lonely Planet and Footprint had advised was noisy and full of life.  It´s a cafe as well as a hostel (El Cafecito), and so far it´s a bit better as I share a room with 2 German travelers my age, and hopefully more will come later.  Today is my get shit done day as I´m so far friendless in the city, so I did some shopping, mailed a few gifts back home, and am catching up on the multitudes of internet chores I have to do.  The city itself seems to be lovely, very European looking (Spanish, naturally) with churches everywhere and plazas of towering palm trees and green oasis´ around random corners.  It’s much warmer here as well, giving extra credibility to the Spanish flair.

After the internet place I spent the evening hanging out with the Germans in the café.  At one point our table got invaded by some local guys looking to flirt with some gringas, but after confirming that we all had boyfriends and some friendly banter (en espanol) they headed off to whatever party was in desperate need of young honey boys that night.  The girls told me they planned to go to Parque Caja the next day, so I basically invited myself along.  As they planned to get up at 5:45 to head out, we had an early night and were in bed for 10-ish, me slightly later so I could choke down some tasteless and terrible spaghetti.

photo by: Ils1976