Colca Canyon Day 2

Chivay Travel Blog

We were up and moving by 6 am to see the Canyon, the journey there frequented by many more souvenier stops.  The canyon itself is apparently the 2nd deepest in the world, it ws nice to see but I was really glad I didn´t devote any more time or energy to it as the fun wore off pretty quickly.  We were on the lookout for Condors, a huge eagle-like local bird that generally flies in the morning times.  We had seen one by luck the day before so I wasn´t too panicky when none appeared, our luck changed however close to 10 am when 2 of the magnificent birds started swooping about.  Our guide told us Condors won´t let themselves get too old, they just commit suicide once they´re up there in years; they also do this if their mate dies before them.  Apparently, they fly as high as they can and just plummet to their deaths!

After the canyon was, surprise surprise, souvenier stops, then a lovely buffet lunch before heading back to Arequipa.  We got back at 5ish and I spent the rest of the evening holed up in the TV room as I had no bedroom booked, and was just waiting for my 1 am bus.  I ordered in Chinese food and watched DVDs and had a very homey-type night, until it was time to go.  I also encountered the group of 5 Cork girls I had met in Manocra and Cusco, and I´m guessing we´ll probably meet agan as our schedules are almost identical, except they are on their way to Austrailia to work rather than New Zealand.

photo by: scacos2006